It is with great sadness that I announce the February issue of Vitality will be our last issue.
As you may have noticed, our February issue has been delayed by several weeks. The Vitality staff have been in discussions about the future of the magazine, and we have decided to close it down. The reasons for this are largely financial – there is not enough monetary interest in Vitality to keep it afloat, and our current staff does not have the skills or resources to save it.
We have had a great year and a half, an published lots of amazing pieces.
I’m grateful to everyone who supported us and supported our message that positive LGBT genre fiction is absolutely vital.
What happens now?
- Authors and artists we have already accepted will be published in our final issue, coming out [tentatively] before the end of February.
- Artists who are only in the early phases of work will be paid for any in progress work they have completed as of the time of this announcement.
- Subscribers will have their subscriptions prorated and the unused amount refunded in the coming weeks.
- Back issues of Vitality, t-shirts, etc. will remain available on the website until further notice.
- We hope to compile an anthology of the best of Vitality, including new pieces, and release it as one large collection. However, this is something we’ll be working on later and will announce at a future date.
- Pieces currently in our slush pile will be rejected w/a notice about this announcement and the option to be notified when we open for subs for the anthology.
- (Please have patience if all of the above takes a few weeks to coordinate – we are working on it. If you haven’t heard from us about something before the end of March, please let us know.)
Thank you again for sticking with us through all of this, and we hope you all continue writing and reading positive LGBT genre fiction.